Daily Bread

"In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' " Acts 20:35 (NIV)

Saturday, January 8, 2011

January 5: A Day Unplanned

I was supposed to volunteer on Wednesday, but I was stricken with a terrible stomach ache and ended up staying home. I felt horrible about not volunteering and keeping my commitment but instead of moping around the house I tried to make the best of my day by doing what I could still do...pray.

I spent the better part of the day lying in bed, reading my Bible and praying. I sent encouraging e-cards to people and spent time in prayer about the prayer, specifically over the requests I received through the church emails. I received a prayer request for a dear young friend of mine who has been struggling with severe stomach issues. I was certainly empathizing more because of my situation but I knew that she was really in a lot of pain and distress. In addition, I received an email from a couple at the church asking people to pray for their son who was also having medical issues. One after another, I was hearing about or being reminded of people who were struggling with their health. I found such comfort in reading my Bible and praying because I knew that God was (and is) in control.

Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people.   ---Matthew 4:23


I love reading the Bible stories of Jesus healing the sick. I also love hearing stories of people who are healed right now. It's not like Jesus stopped healing people 2000 years ago. No, he is the great physician and he is still touching the lives of many and healing the sick. So, as I laid in bed praying for the sick and broken hearted, I felt such comfort in knowing that Jesus is still healing. Perhaps my favorite story of healing is that of the woman who had such strong faith that she believed she would be healed if she just touched the hem of Jesus's garment (Luke 8:40-48).

40 Now when Jesus returned, a crowd welcomed him, for they were all expecting him. 41 Then a man named Jairus, a synagogue leader, came and fell at Jesus’ feet, pleading with him to come to his house 42 because his only daughter, a girl of about twelve, was dying.
   As Jesus was on his way, the crowds almost crushed him. 43 And a woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years,[c] but no one could heal her. 44 She came up behind him and touched the edge of his cloak, and immediately her bleeding stopped.
   45 “Who touched me?” Jesus asked.
   When they all denied it, Peter said, “Master, the people are crowding and pressing against you.”
 46 But Jesus said, “Someone touched me; I know that power has gone out from me.”
 47 Then the woman, seeing that she could not go unnoticed, came trembling and fell at his feet. In the presence of all the people, she told why she had touched him and how she had been instantly healed. 48 Then he said to her, “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace.”


A few years ago I went to the Women of Faith conference and saw Nicole C. Mullen perform her song "One Touch." It is a song about that very same story with application to today. I have included a link for you to watch her music video. Click here. It's powerful and amazing. Grab a tissue.

During the last week I have learned a lot about really placing my faith in God. As humbling as it may be, I must confess that I have often uttered a prayer without actually placing my faith that God is not only listening and caring, but that He can act. The prayers came from my head, not my heart. The quick prayers before meals or bed have not had the actual heart connection that they have needed. This is something I have realized and have been working to rectify. I know that I must place my faith in God! Simply saying a prayer is only half of the equation. Do I have the faith in Jesus that the woman in the Bible had when she reached out her hand to touch the hem of Jesus's garment? The answer is yes. My prayer life is something I have been working on. As much as I did not enjoy having the stomach ache, it did provide me with time to stop and really pray. Wholeheartedly. With faith. Surrendered.

While the day did not pan out the way I had originally planned, I was so pleased to have spent the day with Jesus--talking with him, reading my Bible, and resting in his arms.

So, as I pray for my young friend who is suffering from stomach pain, and the other people that crossed my mind that day, I wholeheartedly place my faith in the healing power and comfort of Jesus. Ultimately, I pray that God will use the situation to draw them nearer to him and for God to be glorified through the situations. I pray for the will of God, "For not my will but thine be done. Amen."

 22 “Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. 23 “Truly[f] I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. 24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.                           ---Mark 11: 22-24


UPDATE!!!!

It is January 8th at 10:36pm and my blood in racing in my veins with excitement. I have had emails piling up as a result of not checking them regularly. So I decided to take the time to clean out my email inbox. I had so many emails that I had not opened yet. Including one from a friend that included a video. Now, I must admit that I am often "too busy" to watch videos and sometimes delete emails without taking the time to read them if I know they are forwards. But I decided that it sat in my inbox long enough so I should take the time to watch it. All the email said was, "Awesome Testimony! Please watch this video, it's short but amazing." 

As I shared, I had been praying about friends of mine who are ill. I stated above how important it is to not only say a prayer, but to have faith that God will and can answer. (He might not answer the way we want him to, but he still answers.) Well, I watched the video and immediately felt like it was an answer to my prayer! Here is the video for you to enjoy! Click here.

God is still answering prayers and performing miracles! We need to celebrate and share these stories!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment