Daily Bread

"In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' " Acts 20:35 (NIV)

Saturday, January 15, 2011

January 14: Prompts and Purses

We did not get along. It has been over a year and I can still remember the tension between us. So then, why was God telling me to give her my purse? Sure, she once offered to buy it from me. I mean, I knew she liked it, but I really did not want to see her again nor did I want to give her my purse. I was fine giving it to Goodwill or another worthy cause. But her...? For a little over a week now, I had been feeling like I was supposed to drive to her work and give her my purse instead of simply giving it to Goodwill. Not only did I not want to give it to her, I did not want to drive the 20+ miles to give it to her. It was much easier to just put it in the box with the other stuff to give away. But I could not shake the feeling that I was supposed to give it to her. I wasn't seeking amends. The past was the past, we both had apologized and moved on. So why on earth was I supposed to give her my purse???

I was reading my Bible in the morning (I've been reading through Matthew) when I felt it again. So, I decided I might as well be obedient. I wrote it on my To-Do List.

I walked into her office and asked the receptionist if he was there. The receptionist told me that she was out of the office. I asked if I could leave the purse for her. The receptionist got all excited and said that she would be happy to put it in her office. Then she told me...

"She will be so excited! I know that she really liked this purse. She has been carrying around this tiny purse for a long time and it would not hold all the things she needed. Just last week, her purse was stolen! Not only that, but her jacket was stolen too and her wallet was in the jacket pocket. She has been wanting a new purse. I know that this will certainly cheer her up and she will be so happy to have such a nice purse. She is going to be so excited when she sees it!"

Seriously!?! Her purse was just stolen? Last week? Really!?! "Okay God, I get it. You know better than I do."

Needless to say, I was quite humbled as I walked out the door. As I drove home, I was reminded of the verses I had just read in Matthew.

"I ask that you will please forgive me for not having been obedient immediately and my poor attitude, selfishness, and all of the other rotten things that were revealed to me in this situation.Thank you Lord for allowing me opportunities to act in accordance with your word and to learn the lessons I need to learn so that I may grow closer to you.  Amen."

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. --Matthew 6:21


The Rich and the Kingdom of God
 16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”   17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”
 18 “Which ones?” he inquired.
   Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother, and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.
 20 “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”
 21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
 22 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.


Matthew 19:16-22

No comments:

Post a Comment