Daily Bread

"In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' " Acts 20:35 (NIV)

Saturday, January 15, 2011

January 10: Silent Servant

I had a great day on Monday because I was able to take the entire day and serve others! I spent hours cleaning my parents' house. They have been out of town for the last three weeks taking care of a sick relative. I know they have been cleaning her house, and taking care of her every need, so I thought it would be nice for them to come home to a clean house. I worked from top to bottom cleaning, scrubbing, vacuuming, and washing. I just turned up the music and got to work.

I took a "break" and decided to shovel the driveway and sidewalk. All the snow the day before had left a heavy blanket just waiting to be shoveled. I spent an hour or so shoveling the driveway and sidewalk and was just about ready to go inside when I looked over to the neighbor's home and saw that they had not shoveled yet. I picked up the shovel again and got to work. Over an hour later, I was done. I was sore, but I was done.

I enjoyed a hot cup of coffee to warm up and then I got back to cleaning. I cleaned until it was time for dinner. I cooked dinner and then I cleaned some more, and more, and more... I cleaned until midnight! To be honest, it was quite enjoyable because I knew how much it would mean to my mom and stepdad to come home to a clean house. They are always taking care of other people, now I had a chance to return the favor.

I would have loved to have seen the look on my neighbors' faces when they returned home, but I was happy to keep it my own little secret. I had such joy in knowing that I spent the entire day serving others.

No comments:

Post a Comment