Daily Bread

"In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' " Acts 20:35 (NIV)

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Prayer Through the Night, Answer in the Morning

The night I wrote my last post was a very long night. As I had shared, I was praying for my new friend and had a heavy heart for the situation. After I blogged I tried to go to bed, but I never quite fell asleep. I tossed and turned and prayed all night. I think it was one of those times when I prayed so hard that I was even praying in my sleep. Has that ever happened to you? I asked God to show me what to do. I so desperately wanted to be obedient but I was not sure what was being asked of me. Was I to go by myself and trust God to protect me? Was I supposed to keep calling people until I got someone to go? Was I to wake up my parents ask them to go? I didn't know at first, but as I prayed I felt God saying, "Be still." So I went to bed.

As I lay in bed, I could not turn off my mind. I asked God for two things: First, to please protect and comfort my new friend. Second, for him to show me how to be obedient and to provide me with the necessary means, whether that was a person to go with me or protection if I was to go alone. I remember praying, "Lord, if you want me to do something, please wake me up in your timing. (I am a night owl, NOT an early bird.) I did not set my alarm. 

The next morning, my dog woke me up. I think it was about 6:30 or 7, I can no longer remember. What I do remember was that it was early enough for me to get ready and to catch my parents before they went to church. As I awoke, I instantly felt God say, "Take action." So, I explained the situation to my parents and asked them if they would be willing to go with me. To be perfectly honest, I have very generous, caring, wonderful parents; however, I did not think they would agree to go. To my amazement, they did. They decided to go to a later church service after taking me to the bus station. I quickly grabbed two duffel bags and all of the non-perishable food I could find. I also threw in some fresh, nutritious food. I knew that my new friend would not have food for a couple of days at least, so I wanted to give him enough to last for a while. We hopped in the car and I called to tell my new friend that we were on our way. He asked me to call him when we got there so he could come outside. He did not want me to go in as there was a rough crowd inside. 

As we approached the bus station, I did not see him. We drove around the block as I tried to call him again. Finally, I spotted him. We pulled up and I unloaded the trunk. He thanked my parents and me and gave me a hug. In the bag I included a packet of oatmeal. I explained that he could go to a Starbucks of some place to ask for a hot cup of water and he could make the oatmeal that way. I gave him a coupon for a free drink so that he would be a "paying customer" to avoid any potential problems. (For anyone who knows me, I am a huge coffee fan so parting with a free drink coupon was a little difficult. I know that sounds silly, but we all have our little quirks.) He thanked me again.

A few minutes later, I got a phone call from him. He was telling me that he was already eating some of the food and he "didn't realize how hungry he was." The bus station had a microwave, so he was heating up one of the travel soups. Nothing like chicken noodle soup to warm the soul. 

I felt so good knowing that I was able to help someone who really needed it. I prayed that God would protect and bless him. 

He was not able to come to church with me as originally planned, but I felt God really showed me that HIS plans are greater. It was such a great feeling to be a part of God's perfect plan. 

A few days later I got a phone call from my new friend. He told me that he arrived at his destination and that all was well. He thanked me again. The best part of that call was when he told me he was able to share some food with some homeless people at the bus station. He said (I'm paraphrasing because it was so long ago, I don't remember the exact words...), "I didn't have a lot, but I had more than they did so I had to share. That's what people are supposed to do. You gave me enough food that I was able to share with them." Wow! Talk about a ripple effect! My new friend also gave these homeless men a pair of his pants and shoes. This reminded me of the Bible story of the widow in Mark 12. 

41 Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42 But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents. 43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44 They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”

My new friend and I have spoken on the phone a few times since then. I pray that he will find a good job and for God to bless his life.


No comments:

Post a Comment