Daily Bread

"In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' " Acts 20:35 (NIV)

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Mr. White and the Return of the Starbucks Card

It was finals week and I had every intention of studying between my classes. I went to a Starbucks near my school but was disappointed to find that there was no place to sit. Every table was taken. I drove to another Starbucks just down the street only to find there was no parking. I was a bit flustered but I said a quick prayer asking God to help me not get frustrated and to provide me with a place to study. I drove around the block ready to find a different coffee shop, but then I felt God tell me to turn down the next street and try again. So I did. As I entered the parking lot again I saw a woman getting into her van. I was thrilled to finally have a parking space and to start studying. I walked into the half-full Starbucks and took my seat at a table for two. I ordered my drink and got set to study.

As I cracked my book I noticed a very unusual looking man walk in. He was quite obviously ill and walked with a significant limp. He had an altercation with the barista and seemed frustrated. I watched him for a moment as he stood by the trash drinking his water. I thought it was odd that he was standing for so long when it was obvious that walking caused him pain. Then I looked around a realized that every table was occupied. There were tables for four with only 1 or 2 people at each, and other tables with seats available...including mine. I moved my backpack and offered for the man to take a seat at my table. He sat down and thanked me. I gave a friendly reply and then returned my attention to my book. I just had to get to my studying. Not more than five seconds later was this man telling me his whole life story. I half-heartedly listened and then I realized that this is why I was here. I was not here to study. I was here to listen to this man. I closed my book and refocused my attention to the man sitting in front of me. (This was a lesson for me on priorities. This person was way more important than some test.)

As horrible as it sounds but he was quite grotesque to look at. I can't really describe him accurately other than to say that I had to intentionally force myself to look at him because I naturally wanted to turn away. (Terrible! I know!) He had very greasy hair, hardly any teeth and skin that looked like leather on a used shoe. His sweatpants were hiked around his calf on one leg exposing a bruise and dimpled skin. He introduced himself. He said his last name was White, like my sweater.

I asked him if he had a place to stay that night. He said he was trying to get to a friend's house in Broomfield but he needed bus money. He asked if I could help him out but before I could answer he changed the subject. A few minutes later, a barista brought over two heated sandwiches. They sat on the table for quite sometime as we talked. I asked him if he was going to eat them. He said that they were bacon, which lasts the longest. My heart broke.

We talked for nearly two hours. We talked about everything from how he became a Christian to what he was doing for Christmas. He ate his sandwiches carefully as he told me about his wife who passed away a long time ago and about his two daughters who live out of state. He explained that he got hit by a car, that's why he was bruised and limping.  He told me that no matter where he wakes up in the morning, he always starts his day by saying the Lord's Prayer (Matthew 6:9-13) The best part of all was when we said the Lord's Prayer together! It's funny, but by the end of the conversation I actually enjoyed how his eyes disappeared when he smiled and looked friendly, not grotesque. After all, he is a brother in Christ.

I reached in my purse to take out some money for him to use for bus fare. I handed him a $5 bill and he quickly stuck it in his pocket. He said that it was embarrassing and he didn't want other people to see it. I understood and I felt bad that I had not been more sensitive to that. He thanked me, looked away for a minute and then he reached back into his pocket. He took out a Starbucks gift card and gave it to me. He told me that there was about $10 on it and said he wanted me to have it. I had no way of knowing what was on the card. I told him that I appreciated the offer, but I would rather him keep it so he could get more bacon sandwiches. He smiled and said he always repays favors. I offered to pay him the money that was on the card so he could have the cash. He thanked me and said again that he "always repays favors." I didn't know what to do. I handed me the card and said he wanted me to keep it. I took it and thanked him.

We shared conversation until I had to leave to go take my final. I had not studied a minute but I felt prepared and ready for the test. I wished Mr. White a very Merry Christmas and all my best. He walked across the street and stood at the bus stop in the bitter cold. I drove to school but I couldn't stop thinking about Mr. White.

I aced my test.

I later found out that the Starbucks card did indeed have money on it. In fact, it had enough to "repay" me for the $5 I gave Mr. White and the free drink coupon I had given to my friend at the bus station.

I learned that I must look at everyone as a child of God. We are all sons and daughters of God the Creator, so who am I to judge another's worth. By focusing my attention on my exam, I was clearly putting my exam before Mr. White. I was saying that the exam was more important. As much as I would love to say I don't get mad at drivers or judge others, I do. I need to start looking at them as a son or daughter of God. Mr. White taught me a lot about myself in how I judge others, place value on other things above people (like my test) and on giving. He wanted me to have the Starbucks card even though that could have been a meal for him. Why did I only give him $5? I had a $20 in my wallet too. I am learning so much about myself and I keep praying that the Lord will prune me. If I want to be Christ-like, I must shift my focus from seeing things from my earthly point-of-view. I must begin to see the world the way Jesus sees it. Brandon Heath has a great song called "Give Me Your Eyes."
http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=DL6Z7LNX (Click here for the music video).

That is my prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment